Morning Flight Road Closures
In the interests of spectator safety, the Trust has again applied to close the road through Innes Common to vehicles between 5.30am and 10.30am each morning of the Festival (unless flights and other activities are cancelled due to poor weather). This closure incorporates Lake Domain Drive from the just after the Innes Common entrance to the Killarney Road intersection. You will need to use an alternative route on the mornings of Tuesday 16th March - Saturday 20th March if this is the one you normally use.
We will be taking all practical steps to minimise any inconvenience you may experience as a result of The Zuru Nightglow at the University of Waikato. We hope you will come and experience our wonderful event.
Limited Access – Saturday 19 March 2022
In the interest of public safety, the Balloons over Waikato Trust have applied to Hamilton City Council for the following road closures for Saturday 19 March 2022:
- Hillcrest Road | From Silverdale Road to O’Donoghue Street between 2.00pm & 11.00pm
- Knighton Road | From Greensboro Street to Ruakura Road between 2.00pm & 11.00pm
- Old Farm Road | No access to or from Knighton Road between 2.00pm and 11.00pm
- Ruakura Road | No access between Nottingham Drive and Silverdale Road 2.00pm & 11.00pm
- Silverdale Road This will only be open to one way traffic heading North between 2.00pm & 11.00pm
Where resident access is affected by these closures:
- Residents on Knighton Road & Tralee Place will have limited access to and from their properties from Knighton Road.
- Residents on Old Farm Road, Greensboro Street, May Street and Helena Road will not be able to access their streets from Knighton Road during the Knighton Road closure.
- Residents on Old Farm Road will only be able to enter / exit from Cameron Road and Nottingham Drive when Knighton Road is closed.
- When Knighton Road is closed between 2.00pm & 11.00pm, residents on Helena Road will be able to exit (left turn only) onto Knighton Road.
Residents of Knighton Road - Limited Access Times
Given the expected high numbers of spectators for the Zuru Nightglow at the University of Waikato on Saturday 19 March, we have reviewed our Traffic Management Plan to take into account the heavy volume of foot traffic along Knighton Road.
Knighton Road will be closed from 2.00pm – approx. 11.00pm. Please be aware that due to heavy foot traffic, you may need escorting to your property with speed limit not to exceed 20kph and hazard lights used on all occasions. Also note, access will be from Clyde Street end (no entry possible from Ruakura Road end). The road closure is likely to be lifted at approx. 9.30pm or when crowd numbers have diminished enough that it is deemed safe to open.
No Parking - Nightglow
To accommodate the Park’n Ride bus parking and pick up / drop off zones, the Balloons over Waikato Trust has applied to Hamilton City Council for the following controlled No Parking areas for Saturday 19 March and Sunday 20 March 2022 (rain date):
- Knighton Road (both sides) – From Gate 1 to Ruakura Road between 5.00am & 11.00pm
- Ruakura Road (both sides) – From Nottingham Drive to Silverdale Road between 5.00am & 11.00pm
- Silverdale Road (both sides) – From Ruakura Road to Hillcrest Road between 5.00am & 11.00pm
A limited amount of Free Parking is available in Gate 1, Knighton Road and Gate 10, Silverdale Road. $5 Paid Parking is available within Innovation Park, access via Ruakura Road only. There will be no access to Ruakura Research Centre via Wairere Drive.
Please note - Balloons over Waikato Trust assumes no responsibility for injury or property damage.