Crew registrations are open for 2017
Ever wondered what it would be like to be one of the people that help get these beautiful balloons in the air? Then why not join us as a balloon crew member and enjoy all the benefits? As long as you are fit, able and don’t mind an early start, you will be perfect. Crew members must be prepared to commit for the whole 5 days.
Crewing is a vital part of the Festival
Being a Crew member on a hot air balloon is a fantastic way to be involved in a really great sport, and community event. Those who have volunteered, in the past years, love it and come back each year. Those who have not, you don't know what you're missing.
Crews are a vital part of the Balloons over Waikato Festival. It's 5 days of fun-filled, hard working, action packed days. It's a chance to make new and lasting friendships and lots of memories. It's the beautiful and colourful sights in the sky that delight and awe the very young and the young at heart. A dedicated ground crew of two to six people for each balloon is needed to make every flight a success. Which is why we need you!
Responsibilities of the Crew
The crews #1 job is to assist the pilot
- Local volunteer crew members will be assigned to a pilot for the duration of the Festival.
- Setting up the balloon, helping to make sure the basket is arranged and stocked with those things the pilot likes to take along, and to help achieve a safe lift off.
- The crew take the chase vehicle and follow the balloon for an hour or so.
- When the pilot has located a nice field for landing, the crew will usually be informed (usually by radio) of the intended landing site.
- The goal of the crew is to have the vehicle at the landing field before the pilot lands, and still have enough time to be waiting in the selected field to assist in any way with the landing operation.
It is fairly straight forward, most of the time! Crew tasks are often explained as 90% common sense, and 10% training. Every task the crew performs has a reason for why it is done a certain way, and once that reason is discovered, it makes perfect sense. The trick to learning is to ask lots of questions.
How do I become a crew member for a balloon in the Festival?
If you are interested in crewing for a balloon during the 2017 Balloons over Waikato Festival, please pop back to our website in October to download an application form once crew registrations have opened.
Please Note: our festival dates are 22 - 26 March 2017.
In order to participate as a crew member for the festival, participants must be available for all activities for the duration of the festival, and be available to attend registration.
For any questions or to request a registration form, please contact Jenni Muhlmann-Brown
Balloons over Waikato
Private Bag 3123